Eurovision Season 2019: First Semi Final Rehearsal Roundup

Right everybody, you know the drill! Rehearsals have started, the little clips of each rehearsal are up and we can begin getting a sense of what to expect in the final performance (though admittedly not as good a sense as we had in the initial clips last year). Anyway, let's take a look at each of the first Semi-Final competitors to see who is punching above their weight and who is disappointing.

Cyprus

It's slick. It's professional. It's dark. It is different enough aesthetically to 'Fuego' whilst taking advantage of all the things about 'Fuego' that made it successful. It's no secret that they are my favourite song in the competition this year. I am just looking for one tiny thing to make it perfect and that is the addition of the replay effect that they had in the music video. If they can find a way to squeeze in an element of the "replaying" into the performance, then I will fully get behind this as my winner this year (even if it probably won't win).

Montenegro

I have stated in good faith and honestly that I enjoy this song but this staging is clunky and uninspiring. The six of them who looked so strong together during the Montenegrin final all of a sudden don't really know what to do with each other. I would love to say that I enjoy watching them up there but that would be a lie. Montenegro are set to continue their streak of non-qualification and poor staging.


Finland

This is another song that I really liked when it first came out but the live performance initially let it down and they have somehow managed to make the staging less exciting. Darude has been shoved out to the side, the dancer is on an iceberg and Sebastian has been shoved out into the middle of the crowd for no apparent reason. Perhaps the camera angles will reveal a wider plan but I can't see it and I fear that the Fins have blown their chances of qualifying.  

Poland

I don't get this song. I don't get this staging. They are too static and too traditional for my liking and not in a good way. This is probably very representative of the attitudes and feelings of how many Poles in Poland want to see themselves represented but I also think there are plenty who think exactly the opposite. It is a divisive act and beyond the diaspora, I don't see who votes for this in their numbers ahead of all the other songs in this Semi-Final. 

Slovenia

In contrast, Slovenia have taken their national final staging and made it appropriately grander for the bigger arena. The song may be in Slovenian but the story is clear and the atmosphere is palpable. You can tell who is voting for this and you can tell it will offer a special delicacy to the Grand Final. The Balkan blackout is yet to be avoided but I reckon Slovenia will take the slot that the Fins threw away earlier in the day.


Czech Republic

It's interesting what a key change does to the perspective of a live performance. I absolutely hated this song when the studio version was released. Then I heard the performance from Vidbir and thought they were absolutely fantastic. The song has strange lyrics and isn't perfect. The staging whilst a clever nod to social media is not exactly the finest but this is fun and enjoyable and it makes you smile and the lead singer is weirdly charming. Lake Malawi's primary colours and the subtle harmonies from the backing dancers fit the cool vibe and it will surely be enough to have Europe collectively foot-tapping on Tuesday night.


Hungary

Yes, the projections and the faces are most definitely a bit out there, but let's face it, we all thought the same when we saw him turn up in Kiev with his milk churn. Hungary qualifies, it's a rule of modern Eurovision. I don't know whether it is the diaspora or the distinct identity that Hungarian Eurovision entries give off but this will qualify even if it is not my cup of tea.


Belarus

Just no. Everything about this feels awkward and weird. Can't see any universe in which this qualifies.

Serbia

Everybody seems to think that Nevena had a good first rehearsal so I suppose that I have to take their word for it. I didn't see anything in this to get the pulses racing. The song is clearly alright but there is nothing memorable in this Balkan ballad and it definitely won't stand up to the test of time. It may sneak through but I would be slightly surprised if it did.

Belgium

I mean... meh. Similarly to the song, I don't have an issue with this staging but it doesn't really say "wake up" to me. I don't know what happened within the Belgian delegation this year but things really haven't worked out for them this year and hopefully the Flemish lot can turn around the rapidly declining Belgian form next year! 

Georgia

I completely get that there might be something in this staging but this song is downright terrible. If this gets through when Iriao didn't make it through last year, I will feel incredibly frustrated at the inconsistency of Eurovision when it really matters. I have loved Georgian songs in the past and would love to be able to say that this is my taste, but put simply, none of this package is for me and I don't think it will be for the rest of Europe either (especially without Russia, Azerbaijan or Armenia in their Semi). 

Australia

Ok, I don't mean to be rude but I laughed when I saw what the grand staging transformation we were all waiting for finally turned out to be more dementors and more people on poles plus some weird, unoriginal outer space projections. Don't get me wrong, what Kate does is impressive but that doesn't mean it is aesthetically pleasing nor does it compliment the song well enough to get the right energy of the performance across. I can't see this not qualifying but this staging is a step backwards from what was already a pretty unoriginal staging concept.


Iceland

They came to f*** s*** up and so far are doing a pretty good job of it. The staging looks like it has been made ready for the larger arena and if the camera angles can capture the emotional intensity of the song, this is set to be gunning for the win. The bookies aren't slashing the odds on this yet but with the press attention they are clearly building, it is becoming a classic case of when not if, they move in for the kill on the betting odds. 

Estonia

I am surprised by exactly how many people dislike this song. I mean ok, it is not the classical masterpiece of last year nor the sultry fan favourite of the year before but this isn't a bad song and the green-screen effect from Eesti Laul is fun both on TV and in the arena. Perhaps my bias towards this is due to the fact that this type of music is my generation of pop music but I think this is sailing through to the final. I am happy to be wrong, but there are a lot of people across Europe who like fun staging and this style of music.


Portugal

Here's another one I have never gotten. However, I have predicted that this was sailing through from my initial projections and I really don't think that outcome is changing. The green suit is odd but then again the feathers were also odd and the staging and song were already really odd. Is this that big a shock? No. Will people vote for this? Yes. Will it place in the top half on Saturday? Unlikely. However it will be appreciated as a Eurovision classic and given the state that Portuguese Eurovision entries were in not long ago, that is not a bad outcome for them. 

Greece

*Sigh* If ever there were a lesson at Eurovision that less is more. Why the heck does there need to be all that stuff there. This was a song that needed her to command the stage on her own and sing the pants off it, allowing her vocals to do the talking for the song. This staging is the exact opposite of that and whilst her vocals are still good, the performance definitely loses potential because there is just way too much happening. Perhaps when the camera angles become more clear, it will feel like it is all part of a greater message but again, I just don't see it and I wish that Greece had chosen a staging that was better able to capture the song's emotional vulnerability.

San Marino 

And then there's San Marino who probably could have done with borrowing some of Greece's props. This is still solid, gold fun and I think it will still qualify but it needed to go slightly bigger with the staging concepts. Some colours would have been nice, a tad more glitz would also have added to the general pizzazz of this song. Basically with 'Say Na Na Na', you go hard or go home. Perhaps, they are holding some stuff back, but I really do think the staging needs slightly more in order to rubber stamp its place in history as San Marino's second-ever qualification for the Eurovision Grand Final.



Qualifiers (in alphabetical order)

Australia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Estonia
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Portugal
San Marino
Slovenia


The only change from my initial predictions sees Finland drop out of the top 10 to be replaced by a solid Slovenian entry. It's a shame because Darude's failure at Eurovision following Saara's under-performing last year will not be good for big artists representing Finland at Eurovision. However in a year when the favourite is a completely unknown artist, perhaps the time is now for Finland to put their faith in fresh, new music and focusing on this specifically by bringing back UMK as a classic, traditional national final (just a thought guys)!

Anyway, that is my verdict on how the first half semi-finals have gone. Who are your qualifiers? What do you think of what you have seen so far? Don't forget to subscribe to the blog using the link above and check back on the blog in a couple of days when we look at the rehearsals from Semi Final 2.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eurovision Season 2019: What Have We Learned?

And the winner of the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest is...

The Terry Wogan Effect