Our Interview with Fatih Melek

We are now at May 4th, the day that would have marked the start of rehearsals as we made our way towards the three live shows in Rotterdam. Everybody has marked the period in their own way but fortunately Eurovision parody-writer Fatih Melek has kept on doing his thing and in many ways, we have never needed work like his more than we do now. I sat down with Fatih last week to chat through him, his work and his next steps:

Tell us about you?
I’m Fatih Melek from Istanbul. I work in advertising and I’m a writer. I’ve also been doing Eurovision videos for a couple of years. So far, I am enjoying it a lot.

What are your first memories of the Eurovision Song Contest?
I woke up on a Sunday and my parents were super happy about something. I asked why and they answered that Turkey came 3rd in Eurovision. It was 1997 and Turkey has been waiting for a good result for decades. That’s the first time I’ve heard about the contest and I’ve been watching it ever since.

When did the idea first come to start creating these parodies?
I was listening to Occidentali’s Karma on my way to the gym and first words of the parody started popping in my mind. Then I asked myself if I can do a video for it. My first thought was to have a drag queen dress up as Eurovision figures. But not much later I understood how expensive and difficult that would be. Then I thought of mixing my footage with memorable Eurovision moments and it worked very well.



How much work goes into creating each video?
A lot! Writing the lyrics takes a couple of days. Recording the song is my least favorite part because I’m an average singer and very critical of myself. Then we shoot the video in 4-5 hours. Editing takes 2-3 sessions minimum with a professional editor. But this year I had to record it at home on my Garage Band and then edit on iMovie because of the quarantine. It was a learning experience for me too. I can say it was a lot less painful than I thought it would be. 

Which year of Eurovision was your personal favourite and why?
That is so hard to decide. 2003 is special because we won. 2004 is special because we hosted and it was the first year I knew almost all of the songs. 2009 was special because I was working with Hadise. 2015 was special because it was my first time seeing it live. 2018 was special because I stan “Monsters” super hard. But overall I have to say, I never had a better time than I did in Tel Aviv in 2019. What a week it was!

If you could invite any previous Eurovision artist to star in one of your videos, who would it be and why?
Saara Aalto first comes to mind because I’m a huge fan. But if we think professionally, filming Rybak’s answer to my parody together or doing a full Fuego choreography with Eleni would be amazing as well.


Which five Eurovision songs best describe your feelings around the last few weeks?
Take Me to Your Heaven: Because I wrote a Eurovision movie screenplay and it’s called “Take Me to Euroheaven”. I put in online a few weeks ago, I’m very proud of it! ( https://my.w.tt/GHXiafb175 )

Tears Getting Sober: Because in time our wound will be a scar. It’s a good message regarding the cancellation.

Spirit in the Sky: Because it was my favorite last year and it feels good to remember last year. Also the new acoustic version on YouTube is flawless.

Love Shine a Light: Clearly because of the parody. It’s a nice, uplifting song, a classic.

Dinle: I had an Instagram Live with Şebnem Paker last week and it was such a nice experience. So, listening to Dinle feels really good these days, it’s a timeless song.

Do you have any goals for your videos in the short term and long term?
Obviously I would like them to reach as many Eurovision fans as possible. In the long term doing a parody or a skit for Eurovision itself would be a dream!

What words of advice would you give to anybody hoping to make their own videos?
I think learning how to edit is very useful to be self-sufficient. Also, even though I can’t do it myself, produce content frequently. I think that’s the most important thing. 


How can people find your work?
Youtube.com/fatihmelek for videos. https://my.w.tt/GHXiafb175 to read the screenplay. If they follow me on Instagram (@fatihmelek3) I will let them know everything!

We will be back following May 16th with our thoughts on everything that has been happening to mark the passing of Rotterdam 2020. Until then, wherever you are, I hope you are staying safe, washing your hands and continuing to marvel and the magic of our brilliant Eurovision community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eurovision Season 2019: What Have We Learned?

The Terry Wogan Effect

And the winner of the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest is...