Eurovision Season 2019: The Craziest Pre-Finals Fortnight in Eurovision History?

So nothing much happened these last two weeks, eh? In seriousness, I am not entirely sure how I feel about half of the songs being confirmed in the last two weeks (with a third coming in the last week). Aside from the constant changing of favourites that has taken place and the inability to keep track of what's going on, I have felt emotionally exhausted from so much that has taken place. Normally this is the entry where I write my initial projections but I think we all need a week to listen to the songs, reflect and recover from what has been a seriously insane last couple of weeks. So for now, let's reflect on everything that's gone down (in approximately chronological order).

Finland

And in a stunning turn of events, Darude is going to Eurovision and in an even more stunning turn of events, he is going with the song written by his singer. In writing this blog post I looked back at the results of this year's UMK and was anybody really shocked by such a comprehensive result? Speaking specifically about Finland, I am both concerned and excited for their Eurovision future. On the one hand, I like Darude and I think Finland have picked a strong entry for Tel Aviv which will be popular amongst televoters. On the other hand, how many big name stars can Finland go through at the expense of potentially strong entries from up and coming Finnish artists? I wish Darude and Seb all the best but I can't see Eurovision heading back to Helsinki for quite a while yet.

 Image result for finland eurovision 2019

Moldova

So perhaps they got lucky the last two years on having that one top quality entry but I fear for Moldova this year. Their saving grace is that they really know how to stage their acts but everything about this year's Moldovan entry is unmemorable and I couldn't tell you the singer's name if my life depended on it.

Image result for moldova eurovision 2019

Norway

I should start by saying that 'Spirit in the Sky' is not a bad song. I should follow that up by saying that having Sami at the contest will be very welcome and hopefully opens the door to more Sami artists competing for the Scandinavian slots. Beyond that it's a pop banger that will do well and place in the top half in the Grand Final but won't last long in the memory. I understand that people are getting excited about Norway this year but frankly, we get excited about Norway every year and I could even argue that Norway are behind in relation to their Swedish neighbours (though on the basis of this year, they are definitely ahead of the Danes).

Image result for norway eurovision 2019

Iceland

Wow, what a shocker! I was so sure about this one winning during my last entry that I actually left a picture of them on the end of the post. I have very complicated feelings about Hatari. I don't like their marmite entry. I don't like the general message that 'Hate will Prevail'. I don't like their weird bondage costumes. I hate that they signed a petition to boycott this year's contest. I hate even more that having won the contest, they intend on protesting against Israel on the Eurovision stage. As I have said time and time again, I would love to see Iceland win the contest, but one has to wonder if Icelandic people believe that the band's behaviour is the best representation of the country. In any case, Iceland won't improve on their result from the last time they were in Israel for Eurovision and I can only hope that Hatari don't get themselves in too much trouble with the Israeli authorities before the contest.

Image result for iceland eurovision 2019

Portugal

I have never gotten the hype around this song. Many people love it, I can't stand it. I think the face mask is weird and unnecessary and I think the song is boring. I should offer the caveat to this comment that Portugal are statistically one of my least favourite countries at the contest and so take my perspective on this with a pinch of salt. I am respectful of people who like this song, but frankly I wouldn't be surprised if this crashed out in the Semis.

Image result for portugal eurovision 2019

Georgia

It was a silly format with a final that was on at a silly time and it produced a silly singer with an unmemorable song that nobody will remember. I feel bad for Georgia given their history at the contest but unlike last year, they will thoroughly deserve their last place in Tel Aviv (and potentially even nul points).

Image result for georgia eurovision 2019

Serbia

I have to hand it to the Serbians. They put together a national final with a distinctly Serbian sound and followed up nicely on their entry from last year. All that was missing was the quality and wow factor in the winning performance. I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that not only are we not headed to the Balkans next year but that this could be the year when we have a full Balkan blackout with no Balkan nations making it to the final.

Image result for serbia eurovision 2019

Cyprus

I mean, we knew what to expect from the Cypriots but that didn't take away from how extraordinary 'Replay' ended up being. I know that people will compare it to Fuego but personally I think it takes the fun bits of Fuego but with a more mature production and slightly more lyrical message. I do think that this will win the whole thing but then again I also thought Spain would win last year and I couldn't have been more wrong. 

Image result for cyprus eurovision 2019

Greece

I would love to have a conversation with the Greek delegation. Last year's disaster of a national final culminated in a rare Semi Final exit whilst one of their own stormed to second place for Mediterranean neighbours Cyprus. This year the Cypriots play the same card twice and the Greek broadcaster decides to find Greek-Canadian singer Katerine Duska. Aside from the clear building on Toy's feminist values, the song is not bad but I don't think it screams winner and I don't think it screams vote for me. As with Greece most years, it will all come down to the quality of the staging. This doesn't feel like a song that is easy to stage but I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

Image result for greece eurovision 2019

San Marino

Welcome back Serhat! After singing a marmite entry in 2016, he's come back with a song that will most definitely stand out. He took the parts of the I didn't know remix that everybody loved and pushed the finished product to the limits. I have a gut feeling that this could be San Marino's second ever qualification with what is definitely their best song yet. Perhaps all is not lost for the micro nations at Eurovision after all! 

Image result for san marino eurovision 2019

Switzerland

This year's Swiss entry is a funny one. Had I not heard it after I had heard Fuego or Replay, I think I would quite like it. The problem is that all of us have and so for me there is a definite sense that Switzerland are trying to borrow an ethnic style that is not inherently Swiss. I must emphasise that I have no problem with the sound being culturally Swiss but I feel like when a nation establishes a clear style at Eurovision that piggybacking off them feels like a bit of a cop out. He will probably make the top 10 and it will be nice to have the Swiss back in the final but it's a shame that this was the tactic they resorted to in order to achieve that.

Image result for switzerland eurovision 2019

The Netherlands

If the bookies are right, we are headed to Amsterdam next year. I have watched every edition of Eurovision ever and aside from this not feeling like a winner, I don't understand what people see in this song. The arcade analogies feel cheap, the song does not have any structure beyond falsettos, pianos and a clapping section towards the end and Duncan is not the most charismatic of performers. Please comment below with what you like about this song because if we are going to Amsterdam next year, I at least want to understand what it is about this song that is so special. 

Image result for the netherlands eurovision 2019

Belarus

And amidst all of the chaos of everything happening during the week, the Belarusians decided this would be a great time to casually throw a national final that nobody noticed and then nobody cared about. 'Like It' is not a bad song but it will ultimately end up on the Belarussian pile of mediocrity that has been many of their entries in recent history. On the bright side, it is all an improvement from last year when they sent a Ukrainian singer and staged him in the most universally ridiculed way I have ever seen a Eurovision entry staged. 

Image result for belarus eurovision 2019

Ireland

Speaking of countries having Eurovision styles, there is something that feels beautifully classic about this year's Irish entry. Yes, it's not going to set pulses racing, but it is fun, sweet and lyrically clever much like Ireland as a nation itself. It is yet unclear as to whether 22 will qualify for the Grand Final but I'm not sure it matters when the entry they have submitted so shamelessly represents an identity of Ireland at Eurovision for the modern era, picking up the baton that Ryan carried with excellence last year.   

Image result for ireland eurovision 2019

Austria

Not going to lie, I expected slightly more from Paenda. Yes, she is a brilliant artist, yes she has one of the best voices at the contest but I find the song to be very safe. Perhaps they are packing a lot into the staging to really build up the atmosphere but I fear for Austria this year. That said, I feared for Austria last year and they only went and won the jury vote. Unlike last year, I really like this song but it's not got the ferociousness that I was expecting from her and potentially runs the risk of being too soft in a competitive second semi!

Image result for austria eurovision 2019

Azerbaijan

It's hard to know exactly what the Azerbaijani broadcasters want out of this year. Last year, they lost their 100% qualification record and they clearly went back to the drawing board needing desperately to reinvent themselves to fit alongside the competition. In fairness, I think they have read the direction the Eurovision has been going on very well but does 'Truth' have enough to compete? Ultimately, I think it will come down to the staging. Azerbaijan have a reputation for good staging but last year, the staging really let Aisel down. Will Chingiz suffer the same fate? He is in the same half of the second semi as Russia & The Netherlands so whatever he does on stage will define whether he qualifies let alone makes headway in the Grand Final.

Image result for azerbaijan eurovision 2019

Poland

I desperately want to fall in love with a Polish entry. I have so many Polish friends, I love Polish culture and it is top of my list of countries in Europe I am desperate to visit. Unfortunately, I can't get behind Tulia. Shouting in Polish for 3 minutes will please the diaspora, shouting in Polish and English won't please anybody involved. The diasporic vote means that this won't come last (plus they are in the same Semi as Georgia) but the Poles can definitely do better at the contest and we should be talking about them as perennial contenders.

Image result for poland eurovision 2019

North Macedonia

Upon listening to this, I immediately missed the sheer gutsiness of Eye Cue. Yes the performance was horrendous and they deserved everything they got but at least they went for something. 'Proud' supposedly stands up for feminism but it is so safe and bland that I could hardly remember it even immediately after listening to it. This will stay in the Semi where it belongs and Tamara can enjoy the expenses-paid trip to Israel.

Image result for north macedonia eurovision 2019

Russia

It is so hard to give a verdict on this year's Russian entry that feels clear and concise. I will start by saying that I loved Sergey in 2016 and it's great to have him back as a representative for Russia. Next, I will say that the song is epic, the clip is beautiful and his voice is amazing. The orchestral backing on this really works and this is a very competent Russian entry that will surely crack the top 10. And if this were most other countries, we would probably say that that's enough and they should be happy with that. But this is Sergey Lazarev backed by the Dream Team and the full support of Russia's broadcasters. The goal shouldn't be top 10, the goal should be bringing the contest back home to Russian soil and even though they are second in the betting odds, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that we won't be heading to Russia next May.

 Image result for russia eurovision 2019

Sweden

And so the lean, mean Swedish pop machine rolls on. I love the excitement and energy around Melodifestivalen but I'm glad that I went to a semi rather than the final because I am rarely satisfied with the winner. This year was no different. I know everybody will disagree with me but I just don't find anything special or magical in this entry and don't think the runner up or the bronze medalists were any more impressive. They will do well because they're Sweden but again, we should consider the standards by which we judge the Swedes at the contest. In my opinion, those standards should equate to bettering the Irish record and establishing their place as the most successful Eurovision nation of all time.

Image result for sweden eurovision 2019

Malta

I feared the worst when Malta opted for the X-Factor winner releases bespoke song approach but I have been proven very wrong. I don't know where they found the songwriters and producers of 'chameleon' but they are brilliant. This entry is so fresh that you can taste the exciting sun and sea air as you listen to it. She is a talented singer who will give everything to the performance and Malta have surely won themselves a return to the grand final. How well they do there will ultimately come down to the staging. 

Image result for malta eurovision 2019

Armenia

Armenia have really lost their way at the contest and I'm honestly not sure how. I tend to have Armenia down as an easy qualifier with a bold and vibrant entry but it really hasn't worked out for them this year. The song is unforgettable and will be swallowed up in an energetic and jam-packed second semi!

Image result for armenia eurovision 2019

Israel 

And finally we come to Israel and whilst I accept that nobody reading this will understand, I love this song. Köbi's voice is showcased beautifully, the structure is strong and it even has a classic Eurovision key change. The lyrics speak of finding yourself, suffering and ultimately love but it does so in a way that feels almost spiritual and so incredibly fragile before building towards powerful, proud and bold. I have already accepted that this won't win Eurovision (heaven knows we don't need Israel hosting Eurovision again) but if this gets a nice high finish, I will feel very satisfied for Kobi and for the future of Israel at Eurovision for showcasing brilliant new Israeli talent. I might even be able to forgive Netta's overrated entry if it means we get to hear this Tel Aviv native nail his gorgeous vocal about coming 'Home' in the first year that Israel hosts the contest in his hometown. 

Image result for israel eurovision 2019 

So that's my reflection on what has been a crazy couple of weeks. The only other news to comment on is Kobi singing 14th in the Grand Final which I ultimately don't think is a bad position. His success will largely dependant on who precedes him but I would like to hope that the Israeli producers will do everything in their power to help their home act get the best possible result so I am hopeful. I will be coming out with an initial projections post this week but please let me know what you think of everything that's gone down. Who are your favourites? What are your hopes for the next few weeks? Please subscribe if you enjoyed reading this article and I will see you again later this week as we finally get to look towards the finals with all 41 songs in our minds and playing through our headphones!

Image result for tel aviv eurovision 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eurovision Season 2019: What Have We Learned?

And the winner of the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest is...

The Terry Wogan Effect