Eurovision Season 2018: Second Semi Final Rehearsal Roundup

Europe's living a celebration! Oh the joy of the biggest TV show in the world being up and running and in full beautiful swing! Not going to lie, I am on a European cloud of happiness at the time of writing. With a true bloodbath of a first semi lined up, it's time to see what the second semi has in store, a semi that includes some of the Eurovision big guns!

Norway

And Thursday's show will kick off with arguably the biggest gun of them all! There are few winners in the modern era that match the legendary status of Alexander Rybak and he's walked gingerly through the contest like the king he knows he is. The song is mediocre, the staging is cheap but Alexander is such a talented performer that it doesn't matter. I would be incredibly frustrated if Norway won with this, but the fact that it has risen to second in the betting odds demonstrates that Rybak, love this song or hate it, commands respect for the way he plays the Eurovision game.

Romania

So from what I've seen of those mannequins so far, a song that was already mediocre suddenly took on a dark and creepy feel. Maybe on camera, this will look better, but at the time of writing, I find it hard to believe the extent to which Romania are throwing away their perfect qualification record so easily.

Serbia

For some reason, Tuesday was a disappointing day for the Serbians. It's a strong song that walks the ethnic-modern line perfectly and I will be surprised if it doesn't go through but they need to do a little bit more if this is going to qualify.

San Marino

See, I am sure somebody in the San Marinese broadcaster thought that tiny robots on a Eurovision stage was a good idea. I don't blame them, they thought they were being innovative. No, I blame everybody since the idea was suggested who went along with it without saying a word about how obviously ridiculous it looks. I feel bad for Jessika & Jenifer but they are bringing this humiliation upon themselves by thinking that this staging is a good idea. The only winner in the whole of the San Marinese farce of their Eurovision campaign is IROL who dodged this bullet and will surely be one of the fan favourites to represent the small country next year.

Denmark

Does what it says on the tin. No change from the National Final, but it didn't need it because as expected, it looks fantastic on this stage. The Danes still need to figure out the situation with the fake snow not being snowy enough but frankly, they're doing well for themselves if that's their biggest issue.

Russia

Where do you even start with this... There are no redeeming features about anything going on here and if this was any other country, it would be a certain non-qualifier. It is now that we will get proof on the political influence that Russia wields at Eurovision!

Moldova

Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! Moldova have kept the identity at Eurovision that Sunstroke Project built for them last year but have developed it, fit it to the performance and the song and the end result is brilliant! I can't wait to watch this on the night because it will be ridiculous amounts of fun!


Netherlands

So, with all the controversy around this one, I will have to see the particular dance moves to tell how much deep water Waylon and the Dutch are in with this one. However, it's a unique, solid song with unique, solid vocals and with the caveat of how bad this situation with the break dancing is, I would be surprised if this didn't go through.

Australia

Am I the only one that watched this rehearsal and thought what is she wearing? Other than that, there was nothing about the staging that a) surprised me or b) was particularly brilliant. It is disgraceful to me that everybody thinks the UK will come last but where this was fourth in the odds going into their rehearsal on Tuesday. SBS have gotten what they can out of this song and the performance but they're not going to win Eurovision with this.

Georgia

Love this song! I am very nervous about if the way its staged will be enough to go through, but I have faith that Europe will listen to this and admire the pure beauty of this genre of music.


Poland

Polish diaspora, let's have a heart to heart for a second. I know you enjoy seeing your country in the Eurovision final. I know you love supporting the homeland from wherever in the world you're watching it. But have a little bit of sense on this one. The song isn't bad but both the performance and the staging are weak and honestly, I urge you all to wake up, smell the roses and vote for somebody else!

Malta

Everybody is getting very excited about the way that this is staged. It is the same reason this one the Maltese final against songs which were far better. However, I don't think the song is strong enough to go through and as much as I admire Christabelle, I haven't seen enough from the vocals and performance to say that it will be able to qualify despite being a weak song.

Hungary

*sigh* Every year, I have been convinced that there is no way that the Hungarian act of that year will not go through and every year it does. I had finally managed to convince myself that this year will be different and instead people in Lisbon are suggesting that this is top 10 material! The Hungarian act is rarely to my taste, but credit where credit is due, it looks like AWS are going to make it to Saturday.

Latvia

 I never gave this much of a hope of qualifying. She is sweet and the song is sultry and beautifully simple but coming straight after Hungary and right before Sweden, this will get drowned out on the night. Bring Aminata back, Latvia!

Sweden

Cool, crisp, Swedish, top 5, nothing more that needs to be said!

Montenegro

I love a good Balkan ballad as much as the next person, but this song doesn't grab you by the neck and ask you to vote for it. I think this could run the top 10 closer than people think but it won't qualify.

Slovenia

And speaking of songs I expected to hook the audience from the word go, I was so sure that Slovenia were set to return to the Grand Final for the first time since 2015. I hate to say it, but a widely criticised staging is making Slovenia's job to qualify significantly harder.

Ukraine 

We don't need to discuss if this qualifies. Instead we can marvel at its weird, musical theatre-esque beauty and weirdness and just get entirely lost in it! Melovin, you've got this!




Qualifiers (in no particular order)

Sweden
Serbia
Moldova
Netherlands
Australia
Ukraine
Denmark
Georgia
Norway
Hungary

I would never have expected to be adding Hungary back onto this list when I initially took them off after the release of the running order. However, I have seen the error of my ways and the Hungarian Eurovision gods have proved me wrong once again. I have a Hungarian ex who I'm desperately hoping doesn't read this article because if she does, she will rub it in my face through to the end of next week's final!

Anyway, there are some close calls amongst the rest! Serbia need to be careful as do the Netherlands, as do Georgia and from what people are saying about Malta, I wouldn't bet against them making a late push, but for now, I am ready to stick behind my predictions.

Thanks for reading everybody! Don't forget to subscribe and please comment with your ten qualifiers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eurovision Season 2019: What Have We Learned?

And the winner of the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest is...

The Terry Wogan Effect