Eurovision Season 2018: The Big 6 First Rehearsals + Other Notes Roundup

Right guys. We're nearly there! We are currently three days away from the first Semi Final and all the fun that is set to unfold as the Eurovision Song Contest finally enters into view! The blog has just the business to do of rounding up the staging on the big 6 and then we'll discuss any other notes from the second rehearsals of the semi-finalists.

Portugal

This falls directly into the category of does what it says on the tin. There hasn't been much change on this from the Portuguese final but it honestly didn't need it. It's safe to say we won't be back in Portugal next year and if the vocals aren't perfect, this is in danger of finishing last, but this is a perfectly sweet and lovely Portuguese home entry for what is set to be a perfectly sweet and lovely Portuguese debut Eurovision hosting.

United Kingdom

I can't believe my eyes but it actually seems like the BBC might have nailed the staging and the camera angles on this one. Again, people are commenting on the song, again, people are saying that the BBC aren't taking enough risks. I don't have enough information to make a full judgement but from what I know, there is more British bashing going on that I'm really fed up with. Will it win? No. But different countries have different aims for their act at Eurovision. A top ten finish for SuRie would be considered a massive win for the UK and will transform the calibre of acts that the BBC attract for 2019. You've seen what's happened with France since 2016? It doesn't take a lot to reach that stage!

Spain

Lovely, just lovely. I am nervous about my prediction on if this will win, but the Spanish still have time to tighten things up. For all the bashing of this act that has gone down, we forget that less is more and on a night with a lot of divisive acts and brash, bold music, I still have a sneaky feeling that the gentle sweetness of Amaia & Alfred could win the day but they will have to contend with Lithuania who are making a lot of headway in the category of sweet, charming love song.

Germany

This staging is pathetic, unimaginative and rude to the host broadcaster. They didn't build screens, don't build your own. And by the way, while you're at it, stop trying to be so obviously emotionally manipulative. This deserves to come last but unfortunately, I think they will be beaten to the punch by...

Italy

It pains me to say that I think the Italians have messed this staging up. The song was already very, very Italian so the strategy for getting around it was... keep it exactly the same as the Sanremo final. The part where the Italians are still in the top 10 on betting odds to win is beyond me. This doesn't deserve to be last, but it is currently inaccessible to the viewers and distracting.

France

*sigh* So last week, I wrote an article on why the French winning Eurovision with this song would be the most French victory ever (http://internationalisteurovisionblog.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/eurovision-season-2018-une-victoire.html). I would now like to add to this article that their staging is the most French staging ever. Firstly, they are assuming that Europe understand French enough for the staging to be minimalist. Next, they make a big deal in the press about how the lighting pattern wasn't what they wanted for the song. Then, to top it off, the showstopper, WOW! moment that supposedly will put them in the top 5 is a stupid hand movement that bears no meaning to the song itself whatsoever except that it looks kind of cool when everybody in the audience does it. As admitted in my article, France could still win, but it would be a victory that would infuriate me.

Any Other Notes

To be fair to France, of the current top 5 in the betting odds (Israel, Norway, Estonia, Czech Republic, France) the Czechs are the only country where them winning wouldn't be incredibly annoying. Israel - what do those Chinese waving cats have to do with your song? Rybak - You're a fantastic performer, we get it, we know, do you really have to win Eurovision with a shit song just to demonstrate to us that you're a Eurovision legend who knows how to play the game? Are you that smug? Estonia - Your voice is amazing, your dress is amazing, but stop showing off. There is no feeling or heart in this song and you know it. Whilst I don't think the Czechs will win, I wouldn't mind them winning.

I would also love to give a shout out to my beloved Eleni who is currently 6th in the odds to win. I find it ironic that Helena Paparizou turned down this song because there are definitely hints of 'My Number One' in the delivery of this song. I would love to see this win because she is a fantastic performer with a fantastic song and fantastic staging. Its chances on winning basically come down to its draw in the Final but let's face it, Eurovision in Cyprus would be AMAZING!

Other necessary shout outs, Moldova, welcome back to the top 10. This staging and performance have announced Moldova as a Eurovision powerhouse. The Moldovans aren't playing to qualify like they did in the past, they are playing to win. If they do win, I am scared as to how they think they are going to host Eurovision in Chisinau but hell, it would be worth bankrupting the broadcaster if this witty piece of gold manages the victory next Saturday!

Australia, United Kingdom. I don't know which of you have been copying off each other's notes but seriously, stop it! The beat, same. The staging, same. Do you think we don't notice? Do you think it's a coincidence. Sort it out!

I am really happy that Saara has landed on her feet with this staging situation. After the Finnish final, I was really worried for her, but she looks like she's in her element on that stage and I'm sure there's a top 10 finish in it for her.

Those are my notes! This time next week, I will be hosting my Eurovision party and we will all be sitting around lapping up the delicious TV gold being broadcast from Lisbon. I will try and sneak in another 'Who Needs the Win' entry to reflect the change in odds since the last one I did but otherwise readers, see you on the other side of the Semi!


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eurovision Season 2019: What Have We Learned?

And the winner of the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest is...

The Terry Wogan Effect